Subject: GK-12 Fellowships
From: "Daniel J. Arp" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:30:14 -0700

Please forward this reminder to graduate students in your department or
program.

Thanks,

Dan Arp

*****************************************************

GK-12 OSU FELLOWSHIP AWARDS for 2000-2001

DESCRIPTION of GK-12 OSU FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The goal of our GK-12 OSU project is to facilitate the development of
active science learning in Oregon schools. We will place each of 14 Fellows
in one of nine schools in three school districts (a large city setting, a
University town setting, and a dispersed rural district). Science education
outreach projects at OSU currently involve these districts. Our
multidisciplinary approach includes five graduate programs (Molecular and
Cellular Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Bioengineering, and Chemical
Engineering). Liaisons from each program are active in science outreach.

Fellows will receive formal training in the summer, spend 6 months in
schools as "adopted scientists" in grades K-6 or "teaching assistants" in
grades 7-12, and then finish their year in extended outreach activities.
The benefits to the schools will be the participation of motivated,
knowledgeable, and trained Fellows in the development and delivery of
science education. The project will improve the connection between higher
education and the public schools, establish a "pipeline" to schools with
populations underrepresented in the University, and develop a cadre of
experienced Fellows with a lifelong commitment to outreach.

DURATION: 3 years
FUNDS: $1,500,000 from the National Science Foundation GK-12 Fellowship Program
SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Corvallis, Portland, Lincoln County

APPLICATION PROCESS and SELECTION CRITERIA
Graduate Teaching Fellowships in Mathematics, Science, and Engineering K-12
Education offered through GK-12 OSU.

FELLOWSHIP AWARD
The graduate fellowship will include an $18,000 stipend and a cost of
education allowance for twelve months starting July 1, 2000.The cost of
education allowance includes tuition and fees.

ELIGIBILITY
Applicants must be graduate students at OSU in the 2000 - 2001 academic
year. Students from the 5 sponsoring  academic graduate programs are
especially encouraged to apply, but others in science, math and engineering
fields are also welcome. The sponsoring graduate programs are Molecular and
Cellular Biology (MCB), Mathematics, Physics, Bioengineering, and Chemical
Engineering.

We believe that students in the initial year of their graduate programs
will not likely have the required 15 hours per week available to
effectively participate in the GK-12 OSU program. Therefore, preference
will be given to those students who have completed at least nine months of
graduate study at OSU by July 1, 2000.

Applicants need not plan to go into classroom teaching as a career, but
will acquire skills in teaching, learning and conducting education research
that will be valuable in a variety of
careers. An interest in the education process is certainly desireable!

GK-12 OSU Fellowship applicants must be citizens, nationals, or permanent
residents of the United States at the time of application.

For more program information and an APPLICATION FORM please visit the GK-12
OSU web site at: http://osu.orst.edu/dept/cgrb/GK12  (NOTE: the GK12 is
case sensitive).

Questions may be addressed to the program coordinators:
Dr. Dan Arp, Molecular and Cellular Biology ([email-masked])
Dr. Skip Rochefort, Chemical Engineering ([email-masked])

Application questions should be directed to Skip Rochefort.

Daniel J. Arp
Botany and Plant Pathology
Oregon State University
2082 Cordley
Corvallis, OR  97331-2902

Ph. 541-737-1294
FAX 541-737-3573
E-Mail  [email-masked]